Thursday, May 12, 2011

Cornbread Breakfast

I recently realized that I had abandoned all other subcatagories on this blog and have, for the most part, just taken pictures of food. So, next week, expect a big installment titled: Managing a Homeschool Environment with Littles About. It is sure to be exciting! Well, not really. But you should come away with some good tips and tricks of the trade that I have observed and utilized over the past 6 years.

I leave you now with one final foodie blog before I am swept under, into the abyss of screaming babies and whiny toddlers, bloggin' that is.

This is, hands down, #2 (here are some others: #1, #3, #4,) in my top favorite breakfast meals list (yes, I have food lists). Leftover cornbread, in our house, is put either in stuffing or eaten by itself with a glass of milk for snack time. But, when I can, and don't mind the extra calories in the morning, I will indulge in this simple and satisfying meal.

Toasty Cornbread topped with Cheese, Fried Egg, and Tomato

1 piece leftover cornbread (we prefer the sweet johnnycake style in our house, but any ole southern white cornbread would do marvelously)
1 slice sharp cheddar cheese
1 egg (or two, if you're naughty)
1 slice tomato

Place the cornbread on an oven safe plate and top with slice of cheddar cheese. Put it in the oven (400 degrees) or toaster oven (medium toast) and let the bread get all toasty and the cheese melts, about 3-4 minutes. While the cornbread is in the oven, heat up a skillet and cook your egg how you like it. Perfection, to me, is an egg over-easy....but do as you wish. Once the cornbread and egg are done, place the egg over the cornbread and top with your slice of tomato.
Eat.

You could get a little fancy and put some fresh basil or crumbled bacon over the top. Maybe a splash of hot sauce. But for me, I keep it simple.
And when my fork pierces the yolk, and all the runny goodness seeps into the nooks and crannies of the cornbread...oh, heaven.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin