Monday, March 14, 2011

Lenten Lunch on a Monday



I gave up leavened bread for Lent. Yes...you heard me right. I, the sandwich lover, gave up all breads containing yeast, baking soda and powder. I also gave up coffee, but that is not pertinent in regards to this post (but you can emote sympathizing tongue clicks my way).

I did allow myself to browse the endless aisles of wheat goodies in search for convenience items made without leavening and was able to procure a few boxes of simple crackers. I splurged on some specialty cheeses and stocked up on meats (which I do not eat much of, but felt inclined to eat more of so my belly would feel full. that's not scientific, just what my brain came up with).

Today's lunch was quite satisfying. I purchased some Dubliner cheese (in honor of the forthcoming Irish holiday), boiled some chicken, and assembled a meager luncheon masterpiece.

I have included a chicken salad recipe that I used today, but my chicken salads vary from day to day and season to season. Feel free to experiment with other additions. A few of my other favorites are pecans and cranberries, curry and grapes, dill and lemon zest, or bacon and shredded carrot. You could also replace the tomatoes with sprouts or cucumber slices. If I were going completely wheat free, the Dubliner is such a sturdy cheese that it could stand in for the cracker and hold up under the salad and tomato.

Simple Chicken Salad on Crackers with Tomatoes and Dubliner Cheese

1 large boneless, skinless chicken breast, boiled and shredded (or 1 12oz can of good quality, organic chicken breast)
2 small stalks celery, minced
1 green onion, dark tops and root removed, thinly sliced
1 cup real mayonnaise (or more to taste, you can also use a light real mayo)
1 small sweet apple (such as gala or lady pink), chopped (keep the skin on)
salt and pepper to taste
3 or 4 thin slices of Dubliner Cheese (or another aged, sweet, hard cheese) Crackers (I used Carr's Table Water Crackers with Cracked Pepper)
2-3 slices of tomato, cut into fourths

Mix the first 6 ingredients together in a medium bowl to make the chicken salad. On each cracker place about a tablespoon of the chicken salad, then top with half of a cheese slice, and cap it with a tomato. Munch.
Served here with honeydew wedges.

Now it is almost 4 and I am fighting a hunger twinge. Perhaps I should divulge in my new favorite snack, Oikos Organic Greek Yogurt with Caramel. Yes, you can die happy eating this way.

1 comment:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin