Monday, January 31, 2011

Fortuna Salad, for the last oozings of January


Our whole household has been ill with some sort of virus every week since before Christmastime. This is wearing on a mom. And these dreary days of winter are going to linger for many many more months.
Today I decided I needed a pick-me-up. And a little imaginary luck might just do the trick!
This bean salad was inspired by a Nava Atlas post I saw this morning (sigh, I *heart* her). I adapted it to fit with what I had on hand. Let me just say, it was spectacular! Bright and filling. I have heard it said that black-eyed peas bring good luck. If they do, bonus! They are full of fiber and nutrients and mixed with the black beans they made for a happy mommy mouth. And the grapefruit was like welcome sunshine to the taste buds.
(this recipe is vegan, but feel free to add some feta or prosciutto if you are feeling a little more adventurous.)

Fortuna Salad
1 14oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 14oz can black-eyed peas, drained and rinsed
1 red pepper, seeds removed and chopped
1 roma tomato, chopped
1/2 cup pimento stuffed olives, chopped
half of a grapefruit, segments removed and halved
juice of one lemon
1 teaspoon olive oil
salt and pepper to taste
Italian Garlic Croutons (recipe follows)

In a medium bowl, mix all ingredients, except for the croutons, until well combined. Let sit at room temp at least 10 minutes to let the flavors marry. Top each portion with croutons before serving. Enjoy!
This makes about 2 largish dinner sized bowls, or three lunch portions. I paired mine with whole wheat bread drizzled with raw honey.

Italian Garlic Croutons


two slices good quality bread*, cubed
olive oil spray
italian seasoning, a pinch
garlic powder, a pinch

Preheat oven to 350. Place bread cubes on a cookie sheet. Spray lightly with the olive oil and sprinkle with italian seasoning and garlic powder. Toss to coat. Place in the oven until toasty on all sides (tossing after a few minutes), about 5 minutes.
When pressed for time, or if I don't want to heat up my whole oven, I put these in a toaster oven and put on the medium to dark toast setting.

*My family does not enjoy the heel portions of a sandwich loaf. I end up with a bag or two of just heels by weeks end and HATE to see them go to waste. I save them, or if I don't think they will get used up soon, will put them in the freezer. They are perfect for making croutons, or dried on the counter in cubes for stuffing, or, my favorite...breadcrumbs!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin